Your Local Balance Center
Like much of our health, balance is something that many of us take for granted. The only time many of us give it a second thought is when we first experience a challenge such as dizziness or unsteadiness.
The word “dizziness” can cover several things. It goes from that light-headed feeling when you stand up all the way to feeling like you are spinning like a carousel.
The sensory information that controls your balance is provided to your brain by your vestibular organs, which are housed in the hard bone directly behind each ear.
When these organs are functioning properly, they send symmetrical impulses to your brain, telling your brain where you are and help to keep you steady. But when one or both is not working properly, it often results in dizziness and balance challenges.
There are many causes of dizziness and Fox Valley ENT offers comprehensive testing that can help to diagnose the problem and help find a solution. Your exam may include:
- The physician will thoroughly examine your ear, nose, and throat to look for any abnormalities or signs of infection.
- Testing of inner ear and middle ear functioning (hearing test and tympanometry) may be ordered to look for signs of inner ear or middle ear dysfunction.
- Diagnostic Videonystagmography (VNG – to assess probable location of where dizziness is coming from)
Common Symptoms of Balance Problems Include:
- Spinning Sensations
- Unsteadiness and/or Falls
- Difficulty Walking In The Dark
- Swaying When You Stand Up
Request a Callback Today